Saturday, February 27, 2010

Latest Dueings

I knew it had been a couple of weeks since I last blogged, but I was surpised to figure out I really haven't written all month, I'm sorry to those of you who check this regularly! But, it's due to several reasons.
Due to the fact that our residency interview season was over at the end of January, and I have therefore been enjoying a lazy month.
Due to the fact that I sort of took a picture taking hiatus, for whatever reason, so I haven't had anything terribly interesting to post. Until now.
Due to the fact that for the last week, I've had a very sick little Abby at home.
Due to the fact, that for a couple of days, she was actually in the hospital.
Earlier this week, Abby started with a mild cough. And then developed a snotty nose. And then a fever to 105 that I couldn't get below 101 no matter what I did. And then, finally, she stopped drinking completely. It didn't matter what I offered- juice, water, popsicles, ice cream, even Dr. Pepper, she refused to drink. And then she stopped peeing.
This is what my poor little girl looked like by the time we got to the doctor, no wet diaper in 18 hours, fever of 104, and miserable. Her doctors ran a few tests, did a CXR, and gave her some IV fluids in clinic. While the test showed she had a pneumonia, the fluids still didn't get her peeing.
So into the hospital we went! Luckily, her regular pediatrician was able to take care of her, and we had some awesome residents looking after us too!

She got lots of love from her parents and MeMe and Papa, IV antibiotics, and some IV fluids.








We spent one very restless night there, and I think we watched The Lion King and Finding Nemo about 4 times each.




Luckily, the next morning, she was feeling much better. Good enough to get in trouble by playing with her IV pump, and telling me she was "stuck" by the all the wires.





Although she still didn't want to drink like we would have liked, her fevers were down, she was peeing well, and she was eating food fairly well. So the IV came out, and we got to go home!



So now we're home. And you hopefully understand why I haven't been dueing a lot of blogging for the past week.
Today, she's much better, but she still needed to check her temperature. Which she now knows how to due!


And she still refuses to drink from a cup. But she will drink from the cats' water bowel. So we made an "abby water bowel". I guess we'll have to break her from this in a couple of days, but for now, I'm just glad she's drinking.

So that's what we've been dueing for the last several days, and why I haven't blogged. But what about the other 3 weeks of the month??
That, my friends, is simply because, I'm due.
And we didn't want to say anything until I had a first ultrasound to make sure everything looked great. And because I can't keep a secret, I simply didn't talk!
Baby #2 is due around October 3rd!

8 comments:

Gina said...

I'm glad Abby is feeling better, and congratulations!!!

Jon & Ashley McP said...

Yeah and YIPPIE!!!!

Liz Seymour said...

Congrats X 2 -- for getting out of the hospital and expecting # 2!!!

Anonymous said...

So glad that Abby is feeling much better. I must admit the cat water bowl was too funny. I looked at your blog last night with no mention of an Abby water bowl. I was getting ready to call Donna and tell her to go in to grandma mode and intervene. Glad Abby has her own bowl. Congratulations on #2. Is your babysitter ready for this?

Bert Burt said...

Stephanie,
In oticed that my comment came up under anonymous. I don't want to be anonymous. I really just don't get computers and my helper wasn't around. I will send this admendment when he arises and shows me what I did wrong. Again congratulations!!!!!!!!!!Nancy Head

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You punk!!! I am glad Abby is better and congratulations to the lot of you!!!

Melissa

TJ said...

I'm so excited to have a new nephew to match my beautiful, perfect baby Abby! Oh, ok....I know I'm prognostacating a little bit, but I think it may be a boy this time. I'll be thrilled for simply healthy and NO "thingys" in it's little head like Abby had in neonatal!