Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mommy's Car is Broken

My car was in a wreck last night. Not me, just my car. I was parked in front of a friend's house, and a tiny older Asian lady who didn't speak much English managed to hit my parked car on a wide, well lit street. Not sure how she did that. I initially thought it was just some bumper and taillight damage, but when Dave looked at he was afraid there was more stuff under the car that I couldn't see.


We exchanged information and went on our merry ways...after 1.5 hours and her daughter, who was called in to translate. I think all will ok-- fastforward to today.
I call my insurance this am, get my car towed to a shop, get a rental (more on that in a minute). Things are still ok. Until....
She calls. And informs me her insurance is actually expired. But she went this morning and got insurance. And would I consider not reporting this to insurance until tomorrow and just saying that she hit me tonight. Basically, will I commit insurance fraud. When I politely said no (and oh by the way I've already called my insurance company) she was upset and acted like it was my fault. Awesome.
So I call the insurance company back, and they nicely assure me that it'll be ok and I'll still just owe my deductible and they'll go after her directly for repayment. I feel better now.

It's been a rough 24 hours. So when I went for a pedicure this afternoon, I had them put a pretty flower on each of my big toes. I feel MUCH better now.
So it'll be ok. BUT....while I'm waiting for my car to be fixed, I'm driving.....drum roll.....a dodge caravan. Yes, a minivan. Nothing like the cool convertible mustang I got to rent in med school. I guess I'm 5 years older and have a toddler now though, so it's ok. And I secretly do like the minivan a little bit....but not enough to buy one myself yet!
And throughout all of this, my beautiful daughter has made up a song...."mommy's car is broken" which she sings oh so beautifully whenever she thinks about it. Which is often.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Aww, sorry Steph :(

Anonymous said...

Your car took a lot of damage but look at this, it gave you the opportunity to drive a minivan, which you secretly like! Good thing you have car insurance! I hope that your car will no longer have to be involved in any accident after this one. Keep safe!

-Andre Brennan

Dewey Setlak said...

I think the girl has no right to be upset. She was the one who caused the problem, right? I really don’t want that. If I knew in the first place that it was my fault, I will hold myself accountable. That way, it wouldn’t create more conflicts later.

Michelina Douglass said...

Wow! All because of the car incident, your daughter was able to compose a song! Isn’t that cool? Anyway, it’s a relief that you have car insurance, or else it’s a double-whammy for you. By the way, how was your experience of driving a minivan?