Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Us versus Them

Abby's been suffering with horrible allergies now for about a month. She doesn't have a runny nose or itchy swollen eyes-- nope, she's lucky enough to have terribly itchy skin. Itchy to the point that she draws blood and rubs again the wall and is, in general, kind of grumpy. We started by changing all her soaps and lotions to hypoallergenic, which did nothing. We used benadryl three times per day, which did nothing except make her sleepy. We started zyrtec, singulair, and atarax, which seemed to help a little.
And finally, we went to an allergist. We spent 2.5 hours there yesterday (after I filled out a 30 page history questionaire.....do you know what kind of carpet you have??) And this is what she came home with:

So we stay on the same meds as before and have added about a million creams, lotions, emollients, and even a foam. I'm hopeful that this will help, but honestly, it's hard to look at this stack of meds for my "healthy" child. However, the next step is allergy testing if we can get her off the antihistamines, and an immunosuppresant if we can't, so I'm going to stay hopeful that this will work. The immunosuppressant makes me nervous-- too many side effects. I'll keep you updated!

1 comment:

jasmine said...

I think she's doing this for attention due to the new baby.
:p
Poor abby. I have skin issues myself and it is misery.